Sunday, April 12, 2009

Make them eat crow....

I don't know if you've ever had that moment in your life when you feel like the whole world is against you. The whispers, the eye rolls, the laughing and the pointing of complete strangers are all signs that you've got a battle to fight. And if you never experienced this, consider yourself extremely lucky. But as I've moved through the world all my life carrying extra weight (physical and emotional), I've always felt like I've had mountains to climb -- bigger, higher and steeper than most people, just to prove that I'm 'worth it'. It's a tough haul, and I don't think I'll ever let go of that sense of battle or that I have something to fight against, even though the load gets lighter each and every day.

Today, a friend posted this video to his facebook profile, and I cannot put into words just how much I know how this woman feels. I want you to take the 7 minutes to sit back and watch. Watch the doubt. Watch the eye rolls. Watch the fact that thousands of people make blatant assumptions about who this woman is and what she is capable of. Hold up the mirror to yourself and watch if you have the same reactions, and make the same assumptions.

The, I want you to listen. Listen to her voice. Listen to the lyrics (oddly one of m favourite broadway show tunes of all time). Listen to her spirit. Open your ears, your mind, your heart. Listen to this woman. And in the back of your head, or even out loud, join me in cheering her on and saying to this audience and all of those who watched: "Take that, you skeptical f**kers!"

Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent

(I would normally download the video, but my conversion software isn't working, so this link will take you to YouTube)

Welcome to my world. Welcome to my battle. Join me in my fight. May we all have victories like this our lives.

Kia kaha.
Stay strong.


4 comments:

  1. Wow. Well, thanks for sharing that. I must admit to envying those who were lucky enough to witness such an amazing moment in person.

    I've certainly had those moments when I thought everyone was against me. I've given those moments names: frosh week, 1A engineering, donship, grades 2-13. And, trust me, that Susan Boyle moment is the stuff of years of my own daydreams. I doubt that I'm alone.

    The truth is that practically none of us will ever experience our own Susan Boyle moment. So we'll have to live vicariously through her.

    Maybe we should be OK with that. The satisfaction I had always imagined myself deriving from serving a large platter of crow would be, upon further reflection, tainted by some profound underlying bitterness. Maybe my goal should be to rid myself of that and forget about having my own "moment".

    As you can see, like you, I still have work to do. Thanks for the continued stream of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you're coming from, Trev. Although I think so many of us would draw such pleasure, confidence and peace from that 'moment'. I think the truth of the moment will rest in how it's defined... maybe your moment occurs when you cross the finish line of a road race. And even though your doubters may not be there so see you succeed, I think it's so cool to rest in the pleasure of knowing that if they were, that they'd be eating crow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys,

    I do think, though, it is entirely healthy to have a platter somewhere in the house for that moment you feel the need to serve crow. Yeah yeah it's all in the moment we cross the finish line but those type of people will always have something to "crow" about - look at his shoes...only 2 hours....the winner did in half his time....blah blah blah. Because we have had armour on so long that when we start to lose it, the chinks in the armour can actually hurt more which is why I like the fact that I have a platter in my house. It will be used when I feel I am at the right place to use it. I will find a crow and stuff it and sere it up with a big smile. Of course, this is all symbolic of the fact that we were hurt and people need to see that they hurt us...but never as much as we hurt ourselves. I would actually like to quote a prophetic poet of this century...Christina Aguilera...
    'Cause it makes me that much stronger
    Makes me work a little bit harder
    Makes me that much wiser
    So thanks for making me a fighter
    Made me learn a little bit faster
    Made my skin a little bit thicker
    It makes me that much smarter
    So thanks for making me a fighter.

    A littel tongue in cheek but thoughtful nonetheless.

    The main point here is you are succeeding and there will always be people in the world who want to kick you when you're down, beat you down when you're up, and find fault when you are flying.

    Rise above and remember the platter. Luke...remember the platter.

    Love you and Kia Kaha.

    Love Your sis. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess what I'm saying is that I question whether there really is pleasure in proving people wrong when they malign me. Isn't that pleasure still coming from a place that is preoccupied with how others perceive and define me?

    I've had people doubt me about running. The difference is that when they do this, it does not make me feel bad about myself. So when I achieve what others say I can't, there's no crow to serve because I had already discounted what they had said.

    ReplyDelete