Saturday, August 23, 2008

So this is what a million bux feels like....

Nope, I didn't win the lottery.... you'd all know about that earlier than now... although I do still play the 6-49 every week, and fall asleep on Saturday nights planning how I'm going to spend my millions.... well, if I win this week, of course, I'll share my wealth... but I'd also probably quit my job and hire Sebastien for more than a week... this week's workout was fantastic... and I feel like a million bucks!

So, I had a bit of a slow week the week prior... a little disorganized... a bunch of stuff came up... didn't do as much physical activity as I would have liked. My computer hard drive fried (hence the lack of a blog last week) and work has started to kick into high gear as we anticipate the start of the new school year at the university. But that's life. I realize that I've had a pretty charmed few weeks where I've been able to focus exclusively on eating well and being active... knowing that I'm forming all the right habits. But last week was a bit of a test... and I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but I still prevailed.

I had my training session on Thursday evening instead of Wednesday -- Tony, Steve and I went to see Avenue Q at the Elgin Theatre... an amazing musical that was just a delight to watch. Now, as most of you know, nothing lifts my spirits and fills my heart more than a good 2 hours of top-notch musical theatre. So after a cruddy week, the show was incredible, and I was in a much better mindset to face my training session on Thursday.

Got to the gym and we didn't waste any time getting started -- ended up doing about 1 1/2 hours worth of work and I really could have kept going for an extra 30 minutes or so -- without a doubt. Did a great combo of cardio and strength training and quickly realized how much progress I've made in terms of my overall strength. I've also realized just how much going to see a trainer has been like therapy. Sure, it helps that Sebastien is working on becoming a life coach as well, so it's a good fit. But my sessions aren't just about lifting weights and doing cardio -- I get a good chunk of time to process my thinking about this new journey and how I'm feeling about it all.

So, as a short-list... here's how I'm feeling.

  • I feel stronger. Especially in my arms. I've got good strong McGrath legs, but chicken arms. They're getting better -- without a doubt.
  • I have no more pain in my legs when I do cardio -- flexibility is way up and I've got much more stability in my movement, making me feel much more confident to try new things. In fact, today, I faced my nemesis, and hammered out 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer. It felt amazing to conquer that fear, and the buttery feeling in my legs as I hopped back on the treadmill to do intervals of speed walking and slogging (slow jogging) felt even better. Yes, that's right... I'm slogging.
  • I climb the big flights of stairs to my office every day without feeling completely winded. In fact, the other day, I went back down and up again one more time... just for fun.
  • I'm sleeping a lot better.
  • I'm sweating less -- last week I wore a sweater at work... I've never worn a sweater in the middle of the summer
  • And all in all... when I get home at night, after having done a full day at work, walked the dog, and then put in at least an hour at the gym, I'm exhausted. But it's a good exhaustion. It's the type of fatigue that makes me smile -- makes me feel great about the fact that I've done something good and worthwhile to make me feel this tired. And that, is SO satisfying.
So, that's the update for now. I have another assessment coming next week. And I really don't care what the numbers say. I know what my mind, body and soul are telling me right now, and no set of body measurements could make me feel like the million bucks that I feel like right now.

Thanks to you all for your ongoing support... the fact that I know some of you are eagerly reading this each week means the world to me.

Kia kaha,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment